26 March 2005

Thanks Dorian

Tonight someone (who shall remain nameless) asked me why I'm so upset with my family's church for its recent expansion of its missionary efforts. My answer was that it is wrong for people to go into another culture and tell its memebers that their way of thinking and believing is wrong and that they will go to hell if they don't change, and it is even worse to do this under the excuse of "helping". I said that I didn't understand why this was not obvious. The reply was that lots of people believe that their way of thinking is the right way and the only way. It seems that the flaw here should also be obvious, but I guess I'm wrong. Anyways, Dorian pointed out a very simple instance of people who agree with me, and it made me feel better. Those who got discustingly optomistic comments tonight can thank her for my mood.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that missions have ruined a lot of really amazing cultures. It's one thing to help, but it's another to want an entire society to change its ways in return.

Anonymous said...

Maggie inspired a new blog? D will be so proud.