24 January 2007

Thus begins the merriment

Today was the first day of classes. I'm only taking one. Marine Biogeochemistry. Sound familiar to anyone else? Once again I'm taking a class that I took in undergrad, and once again, I'm saddened by the prospect of suffering through it without the entertainment of the old lab group. Rounding out the list of things that have made me grumpy today are the fact that this stupid repetitive class starts at 8:30 in the morning, the realization that Comps are extremely soon, and the disappointment that I did not finish analysing last year's data over Christmas break as planned despite having spent the last two weeks on it. First of all, I have recently dedicated myself to being a "functional slacker." 8:30 in the morning is not a time that even exists for such a person, and therefore I object. Next on the list, I really really don't want to be stressed out by Comps. I know that my committee, who's biggest concern is whether I have enough time to drink beer, is on my side*, and that everything will be fine, but I really don't want to have to worry about it. And finally, not only is the data not analysed, it has only just become organized enough to deal with. And so, I've devised a plan to become less grumpy. The plan is to make a schedule, one that includes an entire day for studying for Comps and two days for working on my research every week, and to stick to the schedule. It's been printed and pasted to my wall, and it will be pointed out to anyone who tries to cause a deviation from the schedule.

*I was recently talking to a visiting student from Sweden. In their university system, they refer to committee members as opponents. As much as I've always disliked "the committee," it is merely an annoyance compared to "the opponents."

In other news, my Australia Day costume has been finalized. I'm going to be a member of the North Bondi Beach Surf Lifesaving Club, and it will be supercute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay! you get to wear yellow and a funny hat! yay!