27 June 2007

Wearing pants: it's harder than it looks

Last week during one of the many long lunches that we’ve been taking lately, a fellow student mentioned that he was having a PhD day. By way of explanation, he proceeded to tell us how he had laid out both jeans and shorts to wear that day before taking a shower. While in the shower, he had some deep thought about his project and came out distracted. He forgot to choose between the shorts and the jeans and ended up leaving the house with no pants at all. He didn’t get all that far before realizing the problem and turning around to fix it. Of course, this story inspired Joanna to share the similar and chronic problem that I seem to be having lately. Several times in the last couple of weeks, she’s caught me coming out of the bathroom looking completely perplexed. The first time it happened, she asked what was wrong. I answered that I just realized that I’d put my underwear on inside-out. The next time it happened, she joked that it wouldn’t be long before I was leaving the house without my pants. Even worse, that very morning, I’d gotten dressed and then gone about the business of getting ready for work. I got all the way to my car before I realized that my shirt was on backwards. We’ve since started checking each other every morning to make sure we’re all wearing all of the appropriate items of clothing and that they’ve been applied in the proper manner (though I’m still solely responsible for my own underwear), and congratulations are exchanged when we actually manage. This is what grad school does to you. Perhaps it’s time for a series of Public Service Announcements like the “your brain on drugs” campaign?

1 comment:

JIK said...

thats ok, the other day it wasn't till about half way through the day that I realized I still had my pajama pants on and had forgotten to change them that morning....luckely it was a sit at your desk all day working kind of day, so i wasnt walking around much. The pajama pants have dalmatians decorated for xmas on them, but they are comfy!