13 May 2008

What's your post-apocalyptic skill?

Ever since the boys started brewing beer this winter, the running (dorky) joke has been that it's the skill that will earn them a spot in the fallout shelter when the apocalypse comes. The natural progression from that statement is to ask what my skill is. Of course the answer is that I have many. If my lovely personality isn't enough, I am also an excellent cook and can knit you a pair of socks (or anything else I set my mind to, I suppose).

I'm not really sure how that relates to the actual topic of this post, but anyways... if last summer was the Summer of Little House on the Prairie, this summer is going to be the Summer of Energy Conservation--good for the environment, even better for the budget. As today is the last official day of classes for the spring semester (though my last class was last Wednesday. No exams), it seemed like the right time to start.

That is an entire load of laundry hanging outside my kitchen window (minus underwear of course. They're hanging in my room where the whole neighborhood, and now internet, does not have to look at them.). When I hung up the line, I mentioned to the roommates that they were welcome to join in the energy efficient fun, but they looked at me like I had three heads. I guess none of them have a grandma. I find this completely charming because it reminds me of summers at grandma's house when she'd have me help hang the laundry (she was not dainty about the neighbors looking at her underwear). I'm going to stick to some of the same plans as last year: put up local vegetables for the winter, etc., but as with last year, there are some rather ambitious projects that will more likely than not be completely forgotten. Namely, I'm hoping to make at least one of my three daily trips to the lab during jellytime on my bicycle. Right now, even the thought of getting on my bike makes my butt hurt. Four miles by bike is not that far, but it feels like a trip to the moon if you seat is bruised. The plan is short rides after work until I get accustomed to it, but those rides have yet to start. Last year I made it all of about two weeks before the pain just wasn't worth it anymore. We'll see what happens.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying the same thing and have gotten similar reactions from the roommates. I feel your pain with the saddle sore, but a new seat will probably solve a majority of your problems.