09 October 2008

I get karma points for this, right?

On Thursday afternoon, I went home to bake cupcakes for the bake sale at our annual open house. The damn thing always zaps the life right out of me, and the effects had already started. I had plans for "working from home" while things were in the oven. Then I got an email from my new friend Frank*. Frank is a high school student who's been bugging me to help him with a project on jellyfish for about a month now. He about pushed me over the edge. I'm trying very hard lately to remember that I was once an annoying 7th grader on a field trip, or an REU, or high school junior with ambitious plans for my science fair project, and I try to help out with these things when I can, because somebody helped me once. but I swear I was never this annoying. It's just not possible. So anyways, I was sitting there in my living room, cupcakes in the oven, writing a blog post about it in hopes of eventually being able to draft a polite reply to Frank, when Roommate D walked into the house and was inspired to swear by my mere presence. It made my day. The end result of my correspondence with Frank was that I finally caved and let him come out to visit the lab and to talk to me about jellyfish this morning. He brought his mom. And donuts. Most of the donuts are still on my desk, but I managed to get Frank and his mom out of here in just a little over an hour. And now, I'm pretty sure that I don't have anything to do for the rest of the week except work on my proposal. That's all I've wanted for the last month or so... three whole, consecutive days in which to work uninterrupted. I'm very very excited.

Also, I haven't seen a jellyfish in 2 days. If this continues, jellytime will be over next Tuesday. I'm more than a little out of sorts about the fact that they disappeared for three whole days last week, then reappeared just in time to ruin next weekend for me, but there's hope that the end is in sight.

*Not his real name.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will be up all night wondering what Frank's name is. Is it Mike? Leopold? Trevor? Mahatma?

I bet it's Mahatma.