As much as I like to think of myself as a feminist, I also find myself pretty indifferent to much of American feminism lately. For the most part, we’ve won that war. Sure, there are still women being beaten by their husbands, or whatever, but at a certain point, with all of the support out there, remaining in that situation becomes a personal choice, and I support personal choices, even when they’re bad ones. But instead of enjoying the win, we seem to be continuing to look for a fight, even if it’s about frivolousness or things that we’re mostly imposing on ourselves or each other.
Of course there are still actual injustices against women in the world. The condition of women in many Middle Eastern, Asian, and African societies (even the successful ones) is appalling. But interference from the likes of me (white, American, generally faithless) is not welcome, and it’s hard to get motivated to help someone who doesn’t want it, and what’s to be done anyway? And so, I could not be more proud of this group of Indian women who have formed a gang that beats abusive husbands into submission with bamboo sticks. Hell yeah!
19 July 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
right on!
Post a Comment