I beg to differ. I'm currently suffering from too much of everything...too much to eat, too much to drink, too much of K1 and K2 walking around with their pants down. The only thing I haven't had too much of is sleep. I should be at home, curled up on the couch, watching the first season of Lost. Instead I'm here procrastinating learning one of the three programming languages I need to do my stat homework. I'd be completely discouraged, but I got my first homework back on friday. My solution to the first problem was the most ass backwards piece of mathematics I've ever seen. For the second problem, I found a piece of code that I was supposed to write on the internet (not cheating because I admitted that I didn't actually know how to do it, so I googled it, and the code is what I came up with). I still got an A. Otherwise I'd have given up by now. I realize that I haven't updated in a while, so I'll do that while I continue to procrastinate.
The drama at the commune has not stopped, but it has taken on a different form. I haven't posted the details of the cause of the drama because I've been trying to follow the wise words of Thumper by saying nothing at all if it's not nice. To summarize, a few weeks ago Roommate A had an overly emotional reaction to something Roommate B and I did. We did not think it was at all unfriendly or out of the ordinary, but we were yelled at none the less. In our shock, we just stood there with our mouths open. All parties issued apologies for any miscommunication the next day and agreed to disagree on the actual problem. Since then, everyone's been perfectly polite to A, but not friendly or social. Found out this weekend that the yelling woke up Roommates C, D, and E, and the lab rumor mill was set into motion. I'd been warned about the way gossip travels around here, but had hoped to stay out of it myself. So far, the reaction has not been so good for A. Remember back at Coastal when everyone was talking about everyone else, we all knew it, and nobody cared? Those were the days.
As unadvisable as it may be for keeping the peace in the house, B and I have formed a bit of an aliance. Gotta cover our asses for when the commune breaks up. We tried to devise a code word for "remind me to tell you something next time we are out of the house." It didn't really work, but now we walk around saying "BOOM Bazooka Joe!" and "True Life: I'm a competitive eater!" for no reason at all.
Last night there was a Mardi Gras party, not at our house for once. There was lots of unusual food. I definitely ate a whole bowl of alligator and frog leg stew before I thougth to ask what it was. It was at a faculty member's place, so we were trying to be on good behavior, but there was a keg, so that didn't really happen. There may have been a mutual declaration of prank war between Locust St. and School St. The details are a little fuzzy, but I guess I'll be stocking up on toilet paper and sarran wrap just in case.
Thoughts from this week's NPR listening: Cloud seeding, resorceful solution, or stealing somebody else's water?
The idea is fairly simple. Add dust to clouds...water molecules stick to the dust...ice crystals form...more snow falls, and you no longer have a water shortage. The methods have not been perfected because weather is not as easy to predict as it seems, water is becoming a problem in some places, so people are getting serious, which raises some ethical questions. Basically, that water would have fallen somewhere, is it fair to control where? And if so, how do you decide who gets it? What are the environmental implications of releasing a bunch of dust into the atmosphere? Anyone have any thoughts?
19 February 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Mardi Gras is only just starting, you have to pace yourself with these things.
Post a Comment