12 March 2006

Hatteras or bust

One week, one midterm, and 3 trips to the main campus for stats until spring break!

I actually just realized that one year ago next weekend was the weekend I spent in Charleston with my family for Corps Weekend at the Citadel. I was rather depressed because nothing was going right. It looked like I wasn’t going to get into grad school, so I’d decided to become a firefighter only to discover that my damn cousin had beaten me to it, and I was sure that I was doomed to be a book store clerk in hell for the rest of my life. I had Monday off, so I stayed at the beach by myself for an extra night. Got up early, took a long walk on the beach, and a very very cold swim, then packed up, picked up some sandwiches, and left to meet my brother for lunch before driving home. On the way, I got a call from a prof at UM (now my advisor), and he made me an offer right on the phone. He wouldn’t let me accept it until I’d come up to see the lab, but I went home a very happy girl.

I was feeling kind of stressed about school and roommate drama. I know the school stuff is no big thing…just the usual mid semester anxiety about grades, but everything always turns out fine. The roommate drama is a little stickier. Some of us are trying to tactfully tell one of the roommates that we do not wish to continue living with him. The above mentioned brother is bugging me to let him and his fishing club stay at the house when they come up to fish for striped bass in the Chesapeake. Just what I need, a house full of cadets. But remembering where I was a year ago provided some rather useful, perspective. Annoyingly happy girl is still around, even if she is a little quieter about it.

No comments: