07 September 2006

I might be secretly lame...

Only it's not a secret.

Not much to report. I think I’ve finally recovered from the previously described weekend. Classes started last week. I’m terribly disappointed by both of them. I thought Fisheries Management was going to rock, but then the professor started his four-hour overview of the class, which was interrupted periodically by one of my classmates asking extremely detailed questions about things that will obviously be explained in more depth later. The only plus is that I’m at a remote site. As long as we keep our system muted, nobody can see us, so we can come and go or have lunch and take naps or laugh at the professor picking his nose and make fun of the kissass questions. I was also pretty excited about Marine Geology, but the professor who’s teaching it is new and decidedly not as dynamic as Dr. Wright, so it looks like it’s just going to be a very dull review of things I’ve already suffered through. I spent the three day weekend sleeping like it was my job and watching movies. Des bought a kayak on Monday and finally convinced me to get off the couch to try it out with her in the afternoon. We borrowed a second kayak from some friends and paddled around for a couple of hours.

Now I’m trying to be productive. I have about a million things that need to be done by the end of September, but that seems so far away. I’m submitting a paper to the ASLO conference in February, so I need a decent abstract. I’m presenting a poster at the graduate school colloquium in 3 weeks, so I need a poster. I need to have my zooplankton method perfected for next spring, so I need to go out sampling as much as I can before the plankton I’m looking for disappear for the season. Instead of doing any of that, I spent the morning disposing of the fine presents Ernesto left in my net. I'm now wearing much mud and rotten algae. I should go home and mow the lawn. I'd rather go to the beach.

No comments: