12 February 2007

We really must be bored out here

So, you’ve heard about Punkin’ Chunkin’, Muskrat Skinnin’, and Cardboard Boat Racing, but I’ve just been informed of yet another unusual Eastern Shore sport that gets its own festival: shopping cart racing. Now, I know this one happens in other places. I myself once participated in a short race in which a shopping cart competed against a bicycle cop (the cart won). But the Eastern Shore has added a bit of unique flare. They schedule the race for midnight on St. Patrick’s Day. So after the bars have been open and serving green beer for eighteen hours (because it’s a Saturday, they are letting them open at 6 AM), they are going to block off the streets in St. Michaels and let the drunks run around pushing one another in shopping carts. Brilliant.

Unfortunately, I probably won’t be around to observe this one for myself this year. We’re trying to come up with plans for Spring Break that will probably include traveling on Mar. 17.

No comments: