10 September 2007

Sluggo went yard

…or at least that’s what they’re calling it. For those who are unfamiliar with the terminology, “going yard” means to hit a home run, which I did not. I did however hit an entirely legitimate double despite my slowed running due to a pulled quadriceps. Everyone plays a little shallow when girls bat, but in yesterday’s games, the other team finally just got insulting. Generally I focus on keeping the ball on the ground with hopes of finding a hole in the infield because anything hit in the air to the outfield is almost surely an out because we play with four outfielders instead of three. When I saw how insultingly shallow they were playing, I decided to see if I can still give it a ride, and it paid off... it sailed right over their heads. I also nearly got in a fight. After I made a play at second base, the runner (a rather large girl actually) said to no one in particular “I should have knocked her down.” Now, knocking down the second baseman in a tight play happens from time to time and is looked at as good strategy and not unsportsmanlike in certain situations, but this was not one of them. There’s no way that knocking me down would have kept her from being out, nor was I even in her path by the time she made it to the base. When she looked back to see if I’d heard (I was only about three steps behind her), I asked “really?” and kind of stared her down. Of course, that was probably rather stupid since I probably wouldn’t know what to do with myself if she had wanted to fight about it. Anyways, our coach/captain’s son was on the other team, so Coach informed him, and it quickly spread to the rest of their team, why they call me Sluggo. I’m betting that I get my ass kicked the next time we play that team. Thanks Coach.

No comments: