It’s been a really long time since I posted anything, and in an attempt to find some inspiration, I read through some posts from previous Januaries. I’m usually pretty entertained to see where I was a year ago, and so, today’s post will be an update on what I found there.
January 2006:
Resolution #1: Eat better…
Well it’s all relative. I guess it is safe to say that I’ve been eating fewer packaged noodle products and more fresh, and even local when possible vegetables. This year I joined an organic co-op and learned to prepare and eat a lot of things that I’d never bothered with before. I’d never been a huge fan of squash, but the flood of them from June to November forced me to open my mind. There were many phone calls to both mom and grandma that started something like “I’ve got a vegetable here, and I don’t know what it is. Can you tell me how to cook it?” As a result of these phone calls, I’m the proud new owner of my grandma’s copy of The Victory Garden, which she won in a recipe contest with her recipe for squash and sausage casserole. The recipe went over as well with my friends as it did in the contest.
This one’s actually still going quite well. Most of the time anyway. When things get stressful, I still run for a Coke, but I’m averaging more like one a week instead of trying to limit myself to one a day.
Ooops! Still haven’t gotten around to that one, but it’s still on the list for this year. My comps are about to be scheduled, so there’s a good chance that I’ll need a little stress relief, and a good swim seems like a nice option. Rebecca promises to teach me to properly apply a swim cap so that the chlorine destroying my hair is no longer an excuse.
This one goes in fits and starts. I haven’t been reading a whole lot lately, but I’ve been finding time to do plenty of other things just for me, so I’m calling it a victory.
This one’s hard to gauge. Maybe I’m lame and maybe I’m not, but I’m having plenty of fun, so to hell with the labels.
This resolution never made the blog, but I decided that 2007 was the year to finally put down the ten-foot poll and let people get close to me. This was an especially hard one for me. I don’t know why. And I had my doubts that anyone wanted to be particularly close to me in the first place. In the end, I actually managed to let my guard down and to also remain completely in control (which may have been what was stopping me in the first place). I’m both extremely proud of myself and extremely happy with the result. (Dorian: Please insert “I told you so” here.)
Christmas break sucked. I didn’t even realize how much it sucked until it was over. I got strep throat the day before I left for home. Of course I didn’t know it was strep throat, and I was stubborn about it and tried to suffer through instead of going to the doctor. The suffering made all the normal family interactions that are usually a little annoying, but still nice somewhat less nice. And because I felt like dying, I didn’t really take time to do anything fun or enjoy the time to relax. I finally went to the doctor as soon as I got home. I didn’t realize how bad I felt until I started getting better. And now that I am both home, and better, I’m in an excellent mood. The New Year’s Eve party was a huge success. I’ve decided that I really like when the party is on my block, but not in my house. I plan to encourage more of that.
As for resolutions, I have two. First to handle my roommate-relations a little more firmly. For reasons that seemed to make sense at the time, I was letting a lot of things slide, but I’m done with that. We’ll see how long this one lasts. Second, I was given a really great compliment yesterday. I was told that I’m a confident, intelligent, attractive woman, and that there aren’t as many of those as there should be. And so the plan is to remember that this is actually true regardless of how timid, stupid, or ugly I may be feeling at a given moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment