05 August 2008

Heck of a day

0645: Rolled over, looked at clock, sighed with extreme happiness at the hour left to sleep on this my last day off of jellytime

0655: Knock on door from frantic roommate is followed by mumbled swears until the words "You need to come talk to the police." caused the swears to become considerably less mumbled but also less directed at roommate.

0700: Cops and roommate explain that every car that was parked on this side of the street was spray painted last night.

0702: Surveyed damage. Reaction was surprisingly mild because of course when they said "spray painted", I imagined graffiti and obscenities. In actuality, found only a single brown line from back to front. Briefly wonder whatever happened to creativity in vandalism, but got distracted by being happy that they didn't puncture my tires or put a brick through my windows (both of which have happened to me or a roommate in town). Am further puzzled by positive attitude applied to situation.

0710: After police report and phone calls to dad and brother (who conveniently deals in auto paint for a living) decided to try various household solutions to get the still sticky paint off car before going to auto parts store for expensive, but sure-fire remedy. Turns out anything oil-based works nicely. Various neighbors used olive oil, motor oil, and mineral oil. "Those smart girls from Horn Point" are hailed as heroes for figuring it out. Explaining that I'd called my personal expert did not stop the praise.

0845: Finally made it to work, to find useless REU not present despite having made appointment with advisor one week in advance.

0915: Useless REU strolls in and asks if the meeting can wait for her to drink a cup of coffee. Nearly barfed.

0945: Finally get in to see advisor. He asks if useless REU needs an extension on her paper. Nearly screamed "People who leave work at 3 PM to get drunk DO NOT GET EXTENSIONS!" Instead maintained composure and rest of meeting proceeds uneventfully while I kept repeating "only 3 more days" in my head (meaning only three more days before useless REU departs and is no longer my problem. I had high hopes for her, but that's a whole other post. Maybe sometime when I'm less angry at her).

1000: Worst headache ever sets in.

1030: Set out on lab related errands despite headache.

1130: Errands accomplished. Realized that I wouldn't make it back to lab without stopping for gas. Considered options. Finally decided that going back to work was preferable to getting stranded on sketchy side of town and pulled into gas station.

1135: Completely shocked at being excited about $3.67/gal. Shock is interrupted by stranger with eggplants. Took two even though I've never cooked an eggplant because sharing things from your garden is delightfully neighborly, and I wanted to play that game.

1235: Lunch

1315-1630: Things are generally calm. Finally. Work is accomplished, and recipes (for eggplant, of course) are researched.

16:45-19:45: It takes 3 freakin' hours to make an eggplant casserole. Insane! but generally tasty. Recipe will be altered to save time if ever a stranger hands me eggplants again.

2330: No idea why I'm still awake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have an eggplant growing in my garden. Only one. And it's only like 4 inches long and my not get any bigger. But I grew one dammit!