11 December 2009

Pushing my buttons

Yesterday afternoon, The Yarn Harlot posted on her blog about this pattern. By mid morning today, thousands of knitters had downloaded the pattern. I was one of them. It's a quick and easy knit, which is imperative with Christmas in just two weeks. Plus, the felted slippers that I made for myself a couple of years ago is undoubtedly the most useful project I've ever knit. I wear them every single day for about six months a year. I only wish I could put a better sole on them and wear them outside. So when I saw this pattern, I knew that it would be a perfect solution to several gift giving dilemmas if only I could get my hands on some yarn quickly. Sadly, I live in the damn middle of nowhere, and procurement of yarn is usually best achieved by mail. I decided to take a chance on the craft store about 25 minutes from here. I left work at noon thinking that I could drive up, quickly buy my yarn (or be disappointed once again by the lack of civilization on this side of the bay), and drive back all by 1:00. I got there, they had my yarn, even the color I wanted. I picked up a set of needles just in case, and then I went looking for the buttons. WHAT THE HELL KIND OF A CRAFT STORE DOESN'T CARRY BUTTONS? You'd think I lived on the moon. By the time I finally found buttons in another store and made it back here, it was nearly 2:00. I'm thinking seriously about taking the rest of the day for my mental health.

No comments: