I totally called it. Last summer after the mild winter, the long, cool spring, the apparent absence of summer (except for those two weekends when I happened to be moving, but I can't blame that on the weather... the committee was clearly behind it), and the early demise of the jellyfish, I predicted a cold, wet winter. The creek has been frozen solid for weeks now. The ducks walk up and down it. And we've had two measurable snows. I don't mind snow when it's all smooth and pretty, and everything gets canceled for three days and you snuggle in with lots of blankets and knitting and warm cookies. In the last snow, I even went out and made a snow angel. However, when it stays around in giant dirty heaps on the side of the road and slushy stuff gets tracked in at every doorway, it starts to piss me off.
Yesterday, this string of emails circulated:
P wrote:
At the present time the weather forecast is for about an inch of accumulation by tomorrow morning. Which is enough to shovel, but not enough to plow. If the forecast is accurate, maintenance will be in to clear the sidewalks however the parking areas will still be snow covered. Please be careful while driving or walking tomorrow.
J wrote:
oooooh nooooo an inch of snow
I'm trembling I'm anxious, oh where should I go?
The fallout shelter, a run on the store?
Or maybe just sit here and hope for some more....
V wrote:
J: Perhaps we northerners can arrange to party like there's snow tomorrow!
I was terribly tempted to respond with something like:
J and V: Y'all have fun with that. Meanwhile, us southerners are going to hunker down like the apocalypse is upon us. I recommend using the time this will free up to seriously reconsider the merits of hibernation.
...but decided that my bitterness was better kept to myself. I've decided to channel the negative energy into lots of knitting, a bit of dying, and obsessive planning of all the things that I'm going to grow in my garden this summer. Seed catalogs are on the way.
1 comment:
Today's high is just above freezing here and you'd think the apocalypse was upon us. People seem afraid to go out when there's NO snow! Although, I think our water pipes keep coming dangerously close to freezing every night, so I'm hoping for a warm-up soon. There's no money in the budget for plumbing repairs!
Post a Comment