19 January 2006

National Think about Maggie Day

This morning there was an article on CNN.com about some very large jellyfish that are causing a problem for Japanese fishermen. By 1 pm, 5 different people had sent me a link (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/01/19/japan.jellyfish.reut/index.html) with a statement like “I saw this and thought of you.” In a later discussion with one of them, we decided that it should be declared a federal holiday, and we should all go home. Excellent idea.

Later I received the following statement: “That’s what you get for being the local expert on charismatic megafauna.” WHAT?? The offender will not be named as it was his first offense, and he was probably just bitter at being told that he was not the first. However, should this happen again, there will be a public flogging. In fact, I’ve been following the situation as much as I am able since the Dec. 1 article in The Economist, “A netful of trouble for Japanese fishermen.” Exciting stuff.

Have a great holiday everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new holiday. I wish I would have known about it sooner!

Crystal said...

everyone should have their own personal holiday-it's good for you!!