As of this weekend, a stingray has joined in the laughter. I don’t know if someone has been feeding him or what, but for the last few nights, when I get about half way down the dock, intently staring at the water counting jellyfish, I’ve been startled by a very large sting ray swimming very quickly toward the surface below me. One day it’s going to startle me badly enough to make me lose my balance and fall in on top of him. I’m sure that’s what he’s going for. My committee’s probably paying him.
Yesterday, my advisor got back on my good side. I wasn’t very happy with the pressure he caused about the seminar, or the fact that he nodded violently (but happily) every time I completed a sentence during the seminar, and we’ve butted heads a couple of times over the plans for this year’s sampling. Every time he came out of his office yesterday, he announced how well written the most recent draft of my paper is. Apparently he discovered that if I publish this paper in the next year, I’ll set a record for the earliest publication by a new student. I’m not sure I like the competition, but suddenly I’m getting responses to drafts in days rather than months. Anyways, while we were discussing the revisions that he’s suggesting (and how brilliant I am), he pointed out that one of the results that I didn’t really discuss was puzzling. I haven’t been able to think about anything else since then. My conclusion: yes, that is indeed puzzling. And I have no idea how to unpuzzle it. And the jellyfish laugh on.
1 comment:
bad jellyfish and stingray for laughing at you! However, you must post if you do fall in...cause then I might have to laugh at you too! :)
(and for the record...the word verification that I have to type in (the last four letters) is quite the bad work rearranged...fkcu ;)
Post a Comment