06 June 2006

Low maintenance to the point of being high maintenance

In addition to procrastinating like it’s my job, I’ve killed the entire morning contemplating the intricacies of zooplankton sampling, and I’ve come to one and only one conclusion. Amanda was right. I am definitely “low maintenance to the point of being high maintenance.” Normally this statement is made in reference to social interactions or my technological illiteracy, but today it is spilling over into my work.

I love my visual counts. The simplicity is astounding. They take nearly no time and cost nothing. My most advanced piece of equipment is a hunk of wood on a rope. The problem? The scales of time and space I’m working on are tiny. To understand anything about “my system”, I need to know everything about it, and if I touch it, I change it. Also, I’ve chosen to work on a species that is the embodiment of every single pain-in-the-ass quality that normal scientists avoid.

I think I’m done. I apologize for the dorktastic nature of this rant, and I’ll leave you with this:

“It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always at the top.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I told you I was right!