Last night marked the beginning of a lovely 3-day break from roommates. Des has been in Alaska since last Thursday, but Angie just left for home last night. She took the evil cats with her, and I couldn’t be more thrilled. I’m taking advantage of this roommate free time by reorganizing the entire house. They won’t mind of course, since I’m actually doing them a favor, but when they’re around, they either discourage me from doing big projects like this, or they try to help. Both are bad. Des will probably kill me because I’ve brought two new pieces of furniture into the house since she’s been gone, and I have plans for at least one more. One of the last fights we had before she left (you can tell it’s July when we start fighting. I need a long break from her at least every six months.) was about our having too much furniture. I had just adopted a corner cabinet and a bent wood rocking chair from a friend who was moving. She said the house was too cluttered, I said it was just disorganized. All those who have seen the beginning stages of my reorganization agree with me. I turned the corner cabinet into storage for my yarn stash, and even left a shelf empty for her, so now the yarn doesn’t have to touch the dog toys. Incidentally, I also bought a containing device for the dog toys, which completely gross me out. I moved some things around in the dining room to make that space more useful, and now there is both enough seating in the living room and side tables in all of the appropriate places to set drinks on. Tonight, I’m tackling the kitchen. And shopping for a blanket chest. Nothing would make me happier right now than a piece of furniture that would work as storage, a table, and a bench all at the same time. Except possibly if I could find one that looks nice and costs less than $50. I’m probably asking too much. Once the kitchen is reorganized to meet my standards, I’m going to knit. I swear this blanket I’m knitting is laughing at me. If Mary Poppins had a knitting bag, it would be the one I’ve got the yarn for that blanket in. I keep pulling yarn out, but there doesn’t seem to be an end in sight. Plus, I think it’s too narrow. I’m trying to decide what to do about that, but none of the options seem particularly appealing at the moment. I’m also going to lock my doors and refuse to answer them lest my alone time be interrupted by annoying neighbors like it was last night.
1 comment:
I find that a trunk works nicely as a blanket chest/table and bench. You can usually pick one up for under $25, and if you really don't like the way it looks, painting, or decoupaging, or doing something to it can make it look a lot better. And with people starting to get ready for college these should be available in abundance.
Post a Comment