20 July 2007

This is why I hate my job

This week has been unpleasant. To say the least. And I’m sitting here waiting for it to either work itself out or get worse. On Tuesday, my chiller guy finally came over to look at things and help me set up. He did some calculations and told me that I’d need six chillers to cool one tank. He said he’d look into some things for me and get back to me by the end of the day. Thursday morning, he finally emailed me. Said that if things went as planned, he’d have an answer for me by the end of that day. So I waited and waited and got the worst headache ever and waited some more. Finally he shows up at my desk, declares death and destruction, and leaves. Apparently there’s some question as to the structural integrity of the tanks. And now I really really wanna scream “AREN’T THESE THINGS YOU COULD HAVE TOLD ME EARLIER?!?” Like maybe back in March when I started asking questions? Questions like, “Are those tanks available this summer? Are they usable? Can I use them? Do you have chillers I can borrow? Will those dinky chillers really chill that much water? Are you sure?” The answers: “Yes, yes, yes, yes!” Now suddenly the answers have changed to “maybe, probably not, no.” And of course this is happening three days before I’m planning on starting this experiment. I should be filling the giant tanks today, but instead, I’m sitting here waiting for some guy to come assess the tanks. I think the chiller situation has been worked out, and I have about five backup plans in case it is not, but I have no backup plan if they tell me I can’t use the tanks. None at all.

To add to the feeling of “things would be fine if everyone would just listen to ME!”, my stupid neighbor (the only one who doesn’t hate us) insisted on mowing our lawn after I specifically told him not to do it. He’s been borrowing my lawn mower ever since he had a falling out with the neighbor that he used to pay to do it. So now he feels like he owes me. My lawn did need mowed, but I hadn’t picked up the dog poop, and there are kayaks and tables and lawn chairs and all kinds of other things that need to be moved and mowed under, so I told him thanks, but please don’t bother. I got home that afternoon to find that he had bothered, but had only mowed around all of those things. He also set the mower so low that there are actually bald patches where the blade hit the ground. AND he mowed over my peppers, watermelons and beets! So now I have a scraggly looking yard with a bunch of long patches and chunks of peppers all over the place, and I have to host a BBQ on Sunday (which is a whole other painful story), and I have to smile and say thank you when I would rather punch him in the teeth.

No comments: