29 October 2007

Don't let the bastards bring you down

Not that the bastards are bringing me down at the moment. Depending on how you look at it, I’m either already there, or in a great mood that won’t be spoiled. It was a very long weekend, but a very fun one. I went with the “devil with a blue dress on” costume idea. It took me all day Saturday to get that together. Sadly, every blue dress in the thrift stores screamed school marm more than devil. I finally found a slightly devilish dress at Walmart, but it wasn’t blue. Or at least it wasn’t blue until I was done with it. It started out light grey, but I dyed it blue. The rest was quite easy… bought horns, made a tail. The party was great, but the after-effects were not so good. We had a softball game at noon on Sunday, and never have I seen such a pathetic team. I was mostly just really really tired, but as time went on, the hangover started to catch up with me. The rest of the team was not so lucky. We lost our first game decisively as usual. In the second game, things almost got tricky. It was a double elimination tournament, which we assumed we’d lose in two games, so we all made plans for after the second game. Then we almost won it. I finally turned a clean double play at second base and hit a legitimate (errorless) double. We got a lead in the first inning and somehow managed to keep it until the bottom of the sixth. The plan was to come in to work for the rest of the afternoon, but I just couldn’t…ended up taking a world class nap and vegging out for the rest of the evening. I had planned to have the slides done for my ERF talk so that I could show them to my advisor today. Instead, I showed him an outline that I hurriedly wrote this morning. I promised not to be such a slacker anymore and to have slides to him first thing tomorrow. He gave me a lecture about how he’s just not worried about me and that I should take my time (I bet that’s not how you thought that sentence was going to end). So now here I sit, procrastinating again because he’s just not worried about me. So much for a self-imposed deadline. The current goal is to pirate as many slides as I can from previous talks and get them formatted for this one. Hopefully that’ll give me about two thirds of my slides, then I’ll go home early for another nap and a lot of cleaning.

No comments: