22 February 2008

Grrrr

Snoopy says "The only way to beat the cold is to hibernate. I shall now settle down in my den and sleep until... suppertime."


I’ve absolutely got the Februaries. You know, it’s what happens when you’ve been so cold for so long that the only thing that’s going to make you warm again is a good sunburn. The good news here is that it’s actually February, unlike last year when I diagnosed myself with the Februaries in December. The bad news is that it’s still February. There’s no hope of that curative sunburn until at least May. When it started snowing on Wednesday night, I think I took it pretty well. I put on a ridiculous number of clothes, and I swore at it while I cleaned off my car to come back to the lab to do rounds (That’s right I’m “Security.” Do you feel secure?), but I stopped swearing before I actually got to the lab. On Thursday morning, I went to open my car door and had a moment of panic when it wouldn’t open. Of course I was thinking “Oh CRAP! I’ve done it again!” But luckily I had not in fact locked my keys in my frozen and running car again. They were in my hand. The door was frozen shut, but a few quick whacks around the edges and a good hard tug remedied the situation, and I’m calling it a victory that I managed to get into it and drive to work instead of going immediately back to bed like I wanted to. Last night, I was so cold I had to get up to put on my long underwear before I could go to sleep. And then it started icing. I was sure the lab would be closed, and I even took things to study home with me yesterday, so that I could be a little productive while still staying in bed wearing my long underwear and sipping hot tea. No such luck. The lab is open, and I came in. After scraping nearly half an inch of ice off of my car. Of course, the lab is half deserted because the schools are closed and people are home with their kids. I had every intention of going home after lunch, but my advisor’s wife just came in and announced that he’ll be in this afternoon. Now I’m entirely too grumpy and cold to work, so I’m making plans to drape blankets over the top of the walls of my cubicle-like area in order to trap the heat produced by my ancient computer and to hide from all of the people who are entirely too chipper for such weather. I think it’s probably best that I don’t talk to people until spring.

No comments: