I'm just back from jellytime, and I'm still so angry that I'm shaking (which has not helped the headache any, but that's beside the point). When I got there, some guy and his kid had my net all the way up out of the water. When I got to the end of the dock, I said, "I really need you to not touch my net. This is my research, and I need it to be left in place."
Jerk: My kid got his line tangled in it, I had to pull it up.
Me: I'm very sorry, but you've just cost me a night's worth of data. In the future, please fish on the other side of the dock. If you do get it tangled again, you'll need to cut the line.
Jerk: Oh I wasn't gonna cut the line!
Me: Sir, I'm asking you to please not interfere with my work.
Jerk: Now calm down. Listen sweetheart...
Me: PLEASE DO NOT CALL ME SWEETHEART!
(BTW, I was perfectly calm, or was at least faking it well, right up until he called me sweetheart.)
He changed his tone, but proceeded to tell me how useless the lab is and that it's a waste of money. I told him that was a matter to take up with his representatives and to not touch my things. He finally apologized and went away, but I could hardly manage to take the rest of my measurements. There is really nothing that angers me more than people who touch my net then get rude with me when I ask them not to and explain why. At least I'm proud to have stood up to him. I mean, would he have walked into any other place of business and called a man sweetheart? I think not.
15 September 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
oh my. he does not know you. if he knew you he would not call you sweetheart.
Post a Comment