27 January 2009

Une Dimanche fantastique

For once I made at least half an international trip without incident. I made it to France on Saturday morning, and to my surprise, our "private room" in the hostel was both ready and perfect. It's nothing fancy, but it has three beds and a bathroom, and who can really ask for more? So I checked in, showered, and was considering crawling into bed when one of my roommates showed up. I thought she was coming on Sunday, but I was wrong. We went out for lunch and exploration and then I came back and napped. She had to work on Sunday, so I decided to go on a solo adventure to Monaco, because can you really turn down a chance to visit another country when you're this close and there is not customs to deal with? (btw, that makes 4 this month... Ireland, the US of course, France, and Monaco) So I asked for directions to the bus station and hopped on a bus with only very vague plans for the day. When I got there, I hopped on another bus to the Jardin Exotique de Monaco. I do love public transportation.

The garden was a little weird because it has a lot of American species, especially cacti.



It’s a hanging garden on a cliff that overlooks the city of Monte Carlo



I’m not that into plants, but there were lots of pretty things there.



Including this.



And this.



And of course this.



Next I went to the Musee Oceanographic and was greeted with a familiar sight just inside the door. Recognize it?



How about now?



Gotta love any country whose prince says this.



And then keeps it.



When I’d had my fill of dead things in jars and antique zooplankton nets, I moved on to the aquarium.



It was nothing special as aquariums go, but they did have this.



And this.



And this.



And this.

And my ass is sore from all the hills, and I’m so darn sick of French (language, food, people), that I decided to spend the night in my room eating vegitables picked up at the market (because there are none to be had in restaurants, and my stomach is just not going to be able to handle any more olive oil). On the other hand, the conference is going very well. I’m meeting lots of important people, so it’s good.
Au revoir.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mYou have been to more countries this month than I have my entire life.

Maggie said...

Yeah, by the way, instead of moving to Mexico, we're moving to Monaco now. You know whenever we need to run from the law or whatever.