Yesterday afternoon, I blew off work to go see a movie with my parents because, clearly a the new owner of a new car, and of course the payments that go with it, should be avoiding working. (oh yeah, did I tell you I bought a car? Monday afternoon. 2009 Toyota Corolla. Silver. Needs a name) We saw Gran Torino. After, it occurred to me that depressed/ing old people have seemed to become a bit of a theme in my entertainment lately. In hopes of inflicting these on others, here are my thoughts on the movie, and the book club's most recent selection Water for Elephants, which I listened to most of on my flights to and from Nice.
Gran Torino:
Two thumbs up, but don't even bother if you can't handle some pretty intense language. Seriously, there were racial slurs that I'd never even heard before. I'd have been offended myself except that it was a truly important plot element. Without giving away too much plot, let me just say that it does not make growing old seem like much fun. Add to that the fact that the happiest possible ending includes a tragic murder, and the result is a pretty shitty outlook on life despite a completely heartwarming message. I highly recommend it, but know what you're in for. There will be crying.
Water for Elephants:
In fairness, I haven't finished this yet. I have about 35 minutes left of the 14 hour narration, and I think that there is a happy-ish ending coming up. The story is about a depression era circus. It's told through a series of flashbacks of a 93 year old man in a nursing home who joined the circus as a veterinarian after some rather tragic events disrupted his plans. This is also a really good "read", but another to start knowing that it's going to be pretty sad. Mom suggests that it affected me because my grandpa is also living unhappily in a nursing home these days, and perhaps so, but seriously, I'm pretty sure his situation is just objectively sad.
So despite everything going particularly right in my life these days, I also seem to have acquired a life sucks and then you die perspective. I'm sure everyone around me appreciates that.
04 February 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
1-I have a 2005 gray toyota corolla....LOVE IT...91,000 miles (all put on by me) and still great shape. Wonderful gas mileage as well (her name is Bertha)
2-Saw Gran Torino...loved it...cried...and yes seriously disturbing racial slurs...but it totally fit the movie and was needed. Who knew Clint Eastwood was funny?
3-Water for elephants...have not yet read it. Part of me feels that my life is depressing enough without adding to it.
That is my 3 cents if you will
Post a Comment