That's right, it's the community afghan that we knit as a fund raiser for the breast cancer walk that a friend is participating in. I finally finished sewing all the squares together last night, just in time for the walk on Saturday. It ended up being as long and nearly as wide as my slightly longer and slightly narrower than full size bed, as you can see from the photo, which makes it a very serious blanket. It's also surprisingly square, considering the assortment of shapes and sizes of the individual "squares".
Yesterday over lunch, we were discussing the merits of these kinds of walks to raise money. We decided that it's probably true that they cost too much to be really effective, but everyone knows someone who's dealt with breast cancer, so if they serve no other purpose than to make us feel good, then they're still probably a good thing. And that's when it occurred to me what a very lucky girl I am. Of course I know people who've had breast cancer, and even some who have not survived it. One of my committee members is very recently recovered after a real struggle. But I was the only one in the group who didn't have a whole list of family members and close friends who have had this disease. And I'd like to keep it that way, so ladies, please take care of your breasts.
Update: On a technically unrelated topic, we just had a discussion about predator/prey interactions between the great tit (quit laughing, it's the name of the bird) and some kind of caterpillar. Wanna bet how long it takes for a grad student to realize that the reason everyone's laughing is that he's just used the phrase "great tits of Europe" in a semi professional setting? Or how long they all continue laughing? Hint: both are longer than you might expect.
1 comment:
That is surprisingly square for people who don't know how to measure!
Funny, I just got an e-mail from my friend who is doing the 3 day walk in the fall.
Also my stepmom does the 3 day every other year, but she's a breast cancer survivor too.
Post a Comment