20 September 2010

I can quit anytime

Really.

This weekend probably marks the last of the canning for the year. Or at the very least, the last of the canning of fresh things. I won't promise not to make up a batch of spaghetti sauce as soon as some of my jars are empty.

I went out to the orchard on Saturday to pick apples from trees. I specify that they came from trees because J asked if I'd "picked" them from bins. I came home with 32 lbs. of apples. I immediately turned the first bag into 7 qt. of applesauce, thus bringing my corner cabinet to full capacity, filling every last jar in the house, including the one that had previously been storing chocolate chips, and also reminding myself that boiling purees leave really weird looking spatter mark burns when you get your hands in the way of all of the bubbling. Once again, I look like I've got some sort of infectious skin disease.

As if the peeling and coring for all that applesauce wasn't enough, I spent Sunday afternoon slicing up most of the rest of the apples to pack in syrup and freeze. I got three quarts, which will mean three apple pies some time in the dead of winter. I'm still not quite recovered from "snowpocalypse", but if it happens again this year, I'll be ready.

And then, because there was half a cabbage in my frig left over from the great pot sticker project, and because the cool evenings are making me want to make soup, I made soup. Vegetable beef. And it was lovely despite the fact that it was 85 degrees in my house from all the canning and baking. (Did I forget to mention the baking? Of course I made a crisp. Duh.)

No comments: