24 May 2006

The next generation

Took the touch tank out to an elementary school yesterday. Before we could even get the thing parked, we were hit on by the principal. Des pointed out that of all the men in Cambridge, an elementary school principal is among the least objectionable. He did appear to have all of his teeth. I figured a good friend would have given him her number, but he was nowhere to be found when I went in to sign us out for the day.

With the exception of the severe cold that caused our poor wet hands to go numb, things proceeded smoothly for a while. We gave a five minute lecture to each class then let them touch the animals for a while. I gave the first presentation because Des was nervous and didn’t believe that the 4 year olds would be able to answer questions and interact. They did brilliantly, and from then on, we alternated giving the lecture. The last group of the day, second graders, was her turn. When they walked out, I noticed my advisor’s middle son (we’ll call him R) in the group. I said hi to him, and tried to warn Des that he was there, but she was oblivious. She asked the class if anyone could tell her what it means for a species to be endangered. They made a reasonable attempt, but struggled with what a species is and why something would be endangered. R’s response: “A species on the verge of evolutionary extinction.” She turned to me and said with a tone of please-just-kill-me-now, “Is that a Hood?” Before I could contain my laughter, the teach released an exasperated sigh that indicated that it was in fact one of my advisor’s kids. He by the end of the lecture, R had moved around from the back of the group to stand beside her so that he could address the class directly.

No comments: