25 July 2006

I’m the proud new owner of a bucket on a rake

You know you’re jealous. I even practiced my bucket on a rake skills. In addition to building a bucket on a rake (for gently dipping jellyfish out of the water from the dock, in case that wasn’t obvious), I’ve also placed several orders and finalized my spawning method. All of that took about three hours, so I’m left with nothing to do for the rest of the day. I try to avoid going home before 4:30, so having read all the blogs, I’m left with nothing to do but post on mine.

Everyone was out of town for the weekend. Friday I bought a new lawn mower and mowed the lawn for the first time in over a month. Am more than a little annoyed with roommates for just looking the other way and leaving me to handle everything around the house. I try to play along with their game and wait them out, but I always break first. Took the table display to the Dept. of Agriculture open house on Saturday. It was raining, so we couldn’t take the touch tank. The table display consists of lots of taxidermied animals and is rather boring, so we didn’t have a lot of traffic at our table. When it was finally time to clean up, this old guy from the Dept. of Ag. showed up and tried to pick a fight with us about how scientists are trying to put farmers out of business by blaming them for all the nutrient pollution in the bay. Wanted to tell him “if the shoe fits, wear it”, but tried to gently inform him that we didn’t care and wanted to go home. Finally somebody came over and asked when they could take our table, so he had to leave us alone to pack up. Got home to find that the toilet was stopped up again. Yet another example of everyone ignoring a problem until Maggie fixes it. Did absolutely nothing on Sunday.

Was looking for some information on the lab website and happened upon the picture below. It’s me and E with the touch tank at the Vienna Tricentenniel. Am rather shocked to see a smile on my face rather than a homicidal scowl.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

so what purpose does the rake in the bucket-on-a-rake apparatus serve?

Maggie said...

"for gently dipping jellyfish out of the water from the dock"

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to need a photo so I can fully visualize this bucket on a rake contraption

Maggie said...

It's literally a bucket duct taped to a rake.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA this conversation is so silly!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a bucket on a rake. *sigh* Maybe for my birthday?

JIK said...

why a rake?? why not a pitchfork or a wooden stake??

Anonymous said...

but how exaclty is the bucket duct taped to the rake?

Maggie said...

You are all very strange, but in answer...
http://faculty.washington.edu/cemills/jellyfishcatchers.html

My jellyfish are much larger, so I needed something much larger than a beaker. I have an 8 L bucket. Now look at the one on the bottom row 2nd from the left. Think of the T-joint as the raking part of the rake. That's where I've duct taped my bucket.