11 July 2006

The name game

Much to Dorian’s disapproval, I’ve recently adopted three fire bellied toad tadpoles (Jake insists that I should call them pollywogs). I’m putting of officially naming them until I’m sure they’ll survive and they grow up into real frogs (they are called toads because they’re bumpy, but they’re really classified as frogs), but I’ve been trying to come up with three names that go together. I won’t know their gender until they reach sexual maturity 4-5 years from now, and then only if I let them hibernate and mate, so I’m not going to concern myself with choosing gender appropriate names. Dorian suggested naming them after the witches from Macbeth, but neither of us could come up with their names. Google has informed me that the witches’ names were Witch-Witch, Spell-Witch, and Weird-Witch. Great names for witches, but awful names for frogs. Other possibilities include Larry, Curly, and Mo (the Three Stooges) and Athos, Aramis, and Porthos (the Three Musketeers). I’m not crazy about either of those. Allegedly, King Lear’s three dogs had names, but I can’t seem to find out what they were. Any other suggestions?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think King Leer's dogs were Tray, Blanch, and Sweet-heart

JIK said...

hum... The three Moirae: Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos

snap, crackle and pop

Flora, Fauna, and Meriweather