15 May 2007

Half pint style

Thus begins the Summer of Little House on the Prairie. Though it should probably be called Maggie’s House on the Choptank. I took my only final yesterday morning, and assuming I didn’t fail it and therefore fail out of grad school (in which case, I’ll be moving to Mexico, come visit!), summer has officially begun. I have HUGE plans for the jellyfish, and come to think of it, I should be spending my time building a net instead of babbling on my blog right now. But I have even HUGER plans around the house. And they will begin as soon as I’m finished cleaning the hell out of the place. No kidding. If any of the roommates or pets sit still too long, they are in danger of being cleaned too. The plans are these:

  1. Plant vegetables.
  2. Put things up for the winter. Some will be canned, others frozen. There will be vegetables all winter. Tomatoes, beets, pickles, jam...
  3. Learn to dye yarn. I’m seriously in need of a pair of black cherry and blue raspberry tweed socks.
  4. Make root beer. I didn’t realize you could do this, but apparently it’s not even hard.
  5. Finish knitting the afghan for my cousin and maybe a second one for me. Or perhaps I’ll finish the first one for me and the second one for her. We’ll see what happens.

Yesterday after my final, I was completely useless, so I allowed myself to get a head start on #1 before I started cleaning. There are now tomatoes, beets, peppers, cucumbers, and watermelons planted in random places around my yard. The irony of this is that I can’t grow things. Seriously, my thumbs are a rather sickly shade of brown that does not in any way resemble anything that might have once been green. I’ll keep you posted on the progress.

No comments: