26 November 2007

Turkey for you and turkey for me

The Monday after a holiday sucks. I had intended to take a bunch of pictures of all the food that I made to post this morning to distract me from the fact that my four-day weekend of eating way too much and doing absolutely nothing else is over. Sadly, I was so busy cooking and tending the wounds of my sous chef (good help is hard to find) that I forgot to take the pictures, so you’ll just have to imagine it. I actually managed to cover two dining room tables with food. It took five ovens to accomplish and easily fed nine with many leftovers. There were two turkeys, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, creamed corn, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, cranberry relish, pumpkin, pecan, and purple pies. And for the last three days, I’ve eaten nothing but leftovers. Seriously, pie for breakfast, turkey sandwiches for lunch, Stuffing with turkey and gravy for dinner. Yesterday, I made soup. I didn’t have a pot big enough for one, let alone both of the carcasses, so I had to go get a new one. I found a 22 quart stock pot (that’s five and a half gallons), and I filled it up with turkey soup. The afore mentioned sous chef keeps calling it my cauldron. If he’s not careful, I’ll revoke his turkey eating privileges. Or maybe I’ll make him eat all of it. That might actually be worse.

In other news, you may remember a piece of fiction that appeared on this blog last year in which it was hypothesized that the jellyfish were plotting to take over the world. Here’s proof that it wasn’t just fiction. Nothing like a little job security to start the day.

And now, because I can’t possibly stomach anymore turkey, and because there isn’t room in my refrigerator for anything else, I’m running to the deli for a nice roast beef sandwich.

No comments: