I figured I'd start the day with a blog post, about what else than the election... you know, sort of ease into the idea of working after a late night (for an old lady anyway)watching election results. Obviously that didn't happen as it is now 3 PM. Every time I got started, I found that I had very little to say except that I was relieved. Relieved that America doesn't suck quite as much as I was afraid it secretly might despite tons of polling data to the contrary. Also relieved that J's thesis is finally written. For the last week, I've been feeding him because he ran out of groceries but refused to take the time away from working, and I've been helping him clean up his figures and reading drafts almost constantly.
I'm also pleased that we voted to allow slot machines in Maryland. Yay for personal freedoms! Even the ones that may let you change your entire life savings for quarters and waste them one by one for absolutely nothing in return.
On the other hand, I'm disappointed that we voted in favor of early voting. Boo for redundant laws that cost money and increase bureaucracy! If you are able, is it really too much to ask that you drag your ass to the elementary school every now and then to exercise your right? And if you are not able, well, we already have a system for that. This one was definitely a stupid choice.
I also have a tiny bit of hope for the republican party. After such a massive defeat, surely they'll have to rethink the strategy, right? And maybe, just maybe, they'll remember that they're supposed to be for small government and staying out of everybody's personal business, and most especially out of their systems of beliefs and morals. And eventually they'll be recognizable as conservatives rather than religious radicals. And then this whole two party system will have a chance at actually working. And if not? At least Mrs. Dole learned her lesson.
05 November 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I was going to ask if you saw Kay Hagan's response ad to being called "godless." It makes me sad that she almost certainly needed to make the ad proclaiming to be a Christian just to make sure she had more than a snowball's chance in hell of winning.
Post a Comment