17 July 2009

To the victor go the spoils

Ever since 11th grade American history class, I've been looking for a reason to use that phrase. Mr. Knighton actually managed to catch my attention, which is not easy since I find most of history pretty dull. "To the victor go the spoils" was one of his favorite phrases. He used it at least once a week to explain how after one war or another the winner was stuck cleaning up the mess. I've never had a lot of luck applying it except to remind myself that I should have seen it coming when something I asked for turns into more work that I'd have liked. (Because of course, I'm always the victor. Duh.) But now, I've come up with the perfect application!

Which brings me to the list. As much as I might enjoy throwing the lawnmower at my roommate and/or her good for nothing boyfriend Crystal, that is not the correct answer. The answer I was looking for was "things I'm taking when I move out because they are MINE, and I don't care that the roommate isn't going to like it." Basically, our lease is up, she hasn't gotten her shit together, and I'm done. Since she's not vacating the premises, I am. I've cleared it with the realtor and given my notice. I was hoping to have found a new place by now, and I probably have, but the previous tenants haven't returned their keys yet, so I haven't seen it. Maybe this weekend. Regardless, I'll be moving out on September 1. I'll be taking my things. I'll be leaving the disgusting couches and yaffa blocks for the roommate to dispose of. And I'll be letting her deal with the overgrown yard (without a lawn mower. hahahaha). To the victor go the spoils.

No comments: