10 November 2004

If they don't have oil, we don't care

Lucky for the environment I'm not afraid of Maggie; Unfortunately, she, likewise, is not afraid of me.
Okay, today's lesson is sponsored by the letter E.
Congratulations to Wangari Maathai, Kenyan environmental and human rights activist who was just awarded the 2004 Nobel Peace Prize for her contribution to sustainable development, democracy, and peace. Sustainability is Maggie's middle name.
According to EarthRights International, the Bush Administration is taking their support of California oil giants to court. They are arguing that Unocal should not be liable for aiding and abetting widespread human rights abuse on behalf of their Yadana pipeline project in southern Burma. The abuse is being committed by the notoriously brutal Burmese military. See Bush Administration Supports Immunity for Forced Labor, Rape and Other Torture.
Meanwhile, back in the states... courtesy of the Bush administration oil drilling in Alaska is to begin soon. I know I know... you want cheap gas. (The rich get richer, and the environment pays the price).

No comments: