27 April 2005

This Must Be a Joke

Lately I've been neglecting my blog a little. I'm trying to avoid posting so much negativity because I really am in a very positive frame of mind lately (hence I will spare you the details of my day...I'll only say that I am still angry, and plan to stay that way for the foreseeable futrue). That being said, I simply can't keep this to myself anymore...

On the Daily Show tonight, the author of One Nation Under Therapy suggested that this country is replacing standards with self esteem. I quite agree. The girl scouts award a badge for stress relief, schools are banning red ink (for correcting students' papers), little leagues are not keeping score anymore, the list goes on. Am I horrible to think that kids should be taught that in every game, there is a winner and a loser, and sometimes the loser is you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I adamantly disagree that there's always a winner and a loser. Life isn't about winning and losing, and those who buy into that are sad off.

Maggie said...

I don't mean that everything's a game. I mean that in life you will fail at some things, and you will not always be the best, and people need to know how to deal with that and to take constructive criticism. I'm not saying that we need to go out of our way to crush dreams, but switching from red ink to lavendar for grading tests because it's a more soothing color is rediculous. Getting a bad test grade back is not supposed to be soothing.

Anonymous said...

I'd comment, but as you said, you're trying to keep this blog a positive blog.

Anonymous said...

BOOOO! Bell Curve. BOO