30 June 2009
Physics never treated anyone this way
Yesterday, I went out to do a couple of zooplankton tows. Upon reaching the dock I realized how that wasn't going to work. There were hundreds of jellyfish. I know, you're saying "Maggie, you like jellyfish." And usually, I do, but they are not acting right. First of all, they are way too early. The water is way too fresh and way too cold for them. I don't understand, and I'm kind of supposed to. Second, they were in my way. You cannot do a quantitative zooplankton tow when there are hundreds of jellyfish in your net. My first mistake was even bothering to try. I should have known. But I'm not a quitter. I tossed in the net, but within half of the length of my regular tow, I saw that there were more jellyfish than my cod-end could hold, so I aborted the mission and cleaned things up. Which meant handling lots of jellyfish and things that had been slimed by jellyfish. As I dragged all of my stuff back into the lab, I ran into a friend and we started talking, and I completely forgot priority number one: washing my hands. Then I sneezed. Violently. Into my hands. Thus touching my sweaty face with my slimy hands and stinging my own self on the nose and eye. This is what you get for studying biology.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
that's what you get for studying things that don't act right...and plot your demise at the same time.
Post a Comment