16 October 2005

No hablo espanol

Yesterday was the Horn Point Lab Open House. I've been really curious about this thing since I was first told about it. Really, who goes to something like that? My advisor dumped our lab group's display on me. It's pretty much unheard of for a first year student (or any student really) to have that much responsibility for this thing, so I was pretty stressed, but everything turned out so perfectly. As I may have mentioned before, my poster was a work of art, and I had a really good time telling people about jellyfish. I actually managed to catch one to display on my table. Since things have cooled off, I didn't think I'd be able to find one much less catch it now that the floating dock is gone, but I found one really close to the beach, and I just went in after it. As a result, I had sand in my socks all day, which is fitting. The quote of the day happened as the volunteer appreciation party was winding down. Out of context, it makes no sense, so I'll reproduce the whole conversation. At Horn Point, we are all one big happy family, so students, faculty, and staff all hang out together. I was standing with one of my many roommates (A), and one of our maintainence staff (B) talking about our plans for the rest of the evening...

A: B, are you going to hang out tonight?
B: I don't know. What's going on?
A: We're going to take the keg somewhere and drink it.
B: No, I think I'm going to go get my redneck on.
Me: What's more redneck than taking the keg somewhere and drinking it?
B: The NASCAR race.

The keg ended up at the Locust St. commune, but instead of a normal party, we watched the craziest show on the Spanish channel. It was like The Price is Right, Double Dare, Jerry Springer, and Saturday Night Live all rolled into one and in Spanish. It didn't matter that most of us don't speak Spanish...we were laughing so hard we couldn't hear anyway. A few people showed up, but there's a big conference in Norfolk starting today that everyone but the first years is going to, so we hardly made a dent. The newbees have been ordered to kick it before the rest come back next weekend. If anyone wants to help, come on over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was it sabado gigante?? My favorite show on the spanish channel is the man/woman who dresses in giant robe and preaches? I'm not really sure what he/she is saying. I'm not really sure what gender the person is either.

Maggie said...

Yup, that's the one.