20 July 2005

Shady

I had huge plans for being productive today, but that got shot all to hell when I checked my email. In addition to an instant messenger style conversation with Dorian, it was full, full, FULL of mass emails from students trying to make all kinds of plans.

Jeremy wants to play basketball at lunch time. Dave #1 is in. Mike is out. Both Matts are in. Shih-nan is missing in action. Greg might be shamed into it...after emails from several others, Greg's in.

Angie wants to plan a trip to an amusement park and wants some feedback. She's conserned about weekend crowds and the fact that 6 Flags Baltimore is shady. Dave #2 is in. Caroline, Anne, both Matts, and Dave #1 will have to check their schedules. Takiesa wants to know what Angie means by shady. Dave #1 and Jeremy were kind enough to provide the following definitions...

Dave said:
I think Angie meant number 4:

shad•y

Pronunciation: (sh 'd ), <http://www.infoplease.com/pronkey.html>[key]
­adj., shad•i•er, shad•i•est.
1. abounding in shade; shaded: shady paths.
2. giving shade: a shady tree.
3. shadowy; indistinct; spectral.
4. of dubious character; rather disreputable: shady dealings.
5. on the shady side of, Informal.beyond (the specified age); more than: on the shady side of 40.

Jeremy added:
Please allow me to offer these additional definitions. Perhaps Angie was thinking of these:

shad•y
Pronunciation: (sh 'd ), <http://www.infoplease.com/pronkey.html>[key]
­adj., shad•i•er, shad•i•est.

6. someone who does not keep it real; a person who hides out; a person who keeps things to themselves.

ex 1: Damn girl I ain't seen you in forever. You are shady as hell
ex 2: Quit being shady and let me hit!

7. Suspicious looking; Short for Slim Shady aka Eminem; Clothing line founded by Eminem

ex 1: That musta looked mad shady when I walked up to Chris at work, handed him $20, then left.
ex 2: Slim Shady is the only respectable white rapper.
ex 3: That Shady hoodie was $80.

7. British slang; Mean, nasty or underhanded; In the shade; Of a person; Suspicious or
<http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dodgy>dodgy

ex 1: "Aww Frank, don't hit him, he's only three..." "Aww, that's shady that... You knocked his baby teeth out."
ex 2: "I'm sat in a shady seat located in a sun-swept villa in the south of France. I'm loving it."
ex 3: "That dude in the corner is one shady lookin' individual."

8. fake ass person, one that doesnt come through with what he say he gonna do

ex 1: That fool is shady,he said he gonna show up 30 minutes ago he aint gotta new benz, fake ass mutha.

I had obviously forgotten where I was when I decided I was going to accomplish something today, but I did learn something. That's what it's all about, right?

9 comments:

Maggie said...

In the interest of not leaving anyone out, Matt#1 is "pretty sure Angie was referencing some British slang (7b-ex1). [He] can only guess that its due to all her shady 6-flags dates that beat her and knocked out her baby teeth."

Maggie said...

...and Jeremy (who looks just like Erin Boyle) didn't find enough for basketball...maybe tomorrow or Friday.

Anonymous said...

Six flags over Baltimore is straight up ghetto. And I still don't understand why that's a bad thing. But I'm all for plan B- Kings Dominion, cause that's closer to Dorian.

Anonymous said...

You go to school with some crazies

Anonymous said...

you all may think i am crazy, but if this jeremy character looks like erin boyle...count me in. i had the biggest crush on erin...haha isn't that funny?

Maggie said...

LOL! That's hilarious, Jen. But I'm pretty sure Jeremy's spoken for. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

WHAT??????? A crush on Erin Boyle? WHAT? WHY??????

Maggie said...

Why indeed!

Anonymous said...

Erin Boyle's parents must have hated him becuase they spelled his name like a girl