05 July 2005

Irony and other news

Got into a bit of a pencil throwing dispute with two of my roommates this weekend (not the first). They both work in the oyster hatchery. My position was that while I'm fine with hatcheries research, I think that actually implimenting stocking procedures in natural environments requires some serious thought and study that may in fact be very costly, but it is worth the time and money not to destroy an already badly effected environment. Furthermore, allowing Mrs. Paul (the maker of fish sticks and many other frozen seafood creations) to finance fisheries research stinks of selling out. They disagree. So where's the irony? They are both vegitarians! Basically these two people who don't eat meat on principal are working to make possible the large scale super-exploitation (yes, I made that one up, but over-exploitation doesn't begin to cover it) of the oyster fisheries, AND they're being paid by companies that make their money by selling animal flesh. It's really hard to talk to them without laughing.

In other news, the price of coke at the vending machine has gone down $.15 since last week. As a result, instead of supplimenting my caffine intake with green tea in order to eventually quit coke, I've just added the tea.

This morning my advisor (who was allegedly on vacation) showed up at my desk and informed me that it looks like an electronics store circa 1987 exploded on my desk. It does indeed. Who knew how exciting lots of outdated computer hardware in various states of functionality could be? I'm annoying everyone around me by clanging loudly on the metal casings with my screw driver.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's fun to annoy people around you sometimes...i did it to my roommates yesterday just for the fun of it

Maggie said...

I was actually working as quietly as I could until they started giving me dirty looks...now I'm just beating on things for fun. I'm sorry my job's more fun than theirs, but it's not my fault.

Maggie said...

It's also a comment on how badly I want my new laptop. If I had it, I could take all of this to my lab where no one else dares to venture. Ponder this: if Maggie clangs the electronics in her lab and there's nobody there to hear it, did she in fact clang at all?

Anonymous said...

Aren't you too cute banging around with your screwdriver. You are well on your way to fulfilling your dream of becoming the noisiest coworker Tech Boy has ever had. It is your destiny!

Maggie said...

Can't argue with destiny...