So this has hit my inbox several times now, and I'm just not sure what to think. Obviously I'm all about "sticking it to the man", but I'm just not sure this will accomplish it. If I don't buy gas one day, I'll just have to buy it the next. Also, I'm seeing two different dates. The email copied below referrs to Sept. 10, but I've also gotten several copies that declare Sept.1 to be the date of this mini-boycott. What are your thoughts?
IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT
PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL
COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.
AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER
4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.
THEREFORE Sept 10TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT TO THEM DAY" AND
THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.
THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY
PEOPLE A S YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.
WAITING ON THIS ADMINISTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT
GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT
THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?
REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE
SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE
FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS
SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES
ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!
WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE
WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.
SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD.
29 August 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I would love to participate in "stick it to 'em" day, but alas, I already filled up with gas on Saturday. It's hardly boycotting when you already have a full tank.
I think that gas prices are gonna go up real soon b/c of the Hurricane. Wouldn't it be funny if people thought it was because of the boycott? That would sure seem like the man was sticking it to them.
Sure would. The only result I can actually see coming from this is that some oil executives might be pretty nervous for a few hours (assuming they haven't seen the email, which I find doubtful since I've been spammed with it several times in addition to getting it from friends). It's not that hard to not buy gas on one day...you just buy it the day before or the day after, the oil companies still get their money. I try not to complain about gas prices. Either it's worth it to me or it's not. The day that it's not will be a happy day for the environment.
sorry...i was the one who sent that out...i am not too sure what to think of it either...but i heard on the radio today that you should fill up before the end of the week cause of the hurricane. I heard that gas prices were going to go up to over 3 dollars by the end of the week. what the hell? i don't think that stopping gas purchases for one day is going to help anything.
I think it's interesting, and since I will have to fill up tonight or not go to work tomorrow, I guess I plan to participate (assuming Sept. 1 is the correct date). I'll be in College Park on Friday, and I'll try to remember to report on prices inside the beltway as I'm sure they'll be spectacular.
Post a Comment